Happy Easter all! Long four-day weekends call for lie-ins and brunch 😀 Here’s a delightfully quick recipe you can whip up with ingredients you’ll probably already have lying around, and it transforms your average hot cross bun into something incredible.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 hot cross buns
- 2 eggs
- 50 ml milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 80 g frozen berries (I used raspberries, blackberries, redcurrants and blackcurrants)
- 2 tbsp butter
- Icing sugar
- Maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 180°C fan / 390°F.
- Lightly whisk together the eggs, milk and a pinch of cinnamon.
- Cut a pocket into the side of each hot cross bun, and stuff with a handful of frozen berries. Don’t go overboard otherwise the berries will leak out!
- Dip the buns into the eggy mixture and allow to soak.
- Melt butter in a frying pan on a medium heat.
- Fry the buns for 1 minute on each side, or until each side is golden brown.
- Pop the buns into the oven for 8-10 minutes until it is heated throughout.
- Serve with generous lashings of maple syrup, more berries and other toppings of your choice.
(Recipe adapted from Sainsbury’s)